Sunday 27 February 2011

V-Stitch Fingerless Gloves Free Pattern

My sister always complains that I never crochet anything for her. She had been asking me to make her a pair of fingerless gloves for ages, but I never got around to it because she is terribly picky :P A few months ago, however, I was sick and stuck in bed for an entire weekend, so I finally came up with a pattern that pleased her.



She wanted something not too lacy, not too plain, without too many or big holes but still with an interesting design. (Like I said, picky).





There is a handy PDF version of the pattern, if you prefer.

Yarn: Worsted weight
Hook: 4.5mm/U.S. G

Abbreviations
Ch: chain
Sc: single crochet
Dc: double crochet
Sl st: slip stitch
FPHDC: Front-post half-double crochet
BPHDC: Back-post half-double crochet

Cuff
Ch 28, join with sl st, being careful not to twist the chain,
Round 1: Ch 1, sc in every stitch around, join to ch 1 with sl st
Round 2: Ch 1, *FPHDC in next sc, BPHDC in second sc, repeat from * around, join with sl st to ch1
Round 3-4: Repeat Round 2.

Glove
Round 5: Ch 3, 2 dc in same stitch, *skip 2 stitches, 3 dc in third stitch, repeat from * around until there are only 2 stitches left, join to ch 2
Round 6: Sl st in middle dc of dc cluster, ch 4, dc in same stitch, *dc in middle stitch of next dc cluster, ch 1, dc in same stitch, repeat from * around, join to 3rd ch of ch 4
Round 7: Sl st in ch 1 space, ch 3, 2 dc in same space, *3 dc in next ch 1 space, repeat from * around, join to ch 3
Round 8: Repeat Round 6
Round 9: Repeat Round 7

Thumb space
Round 10: Repeat Round 6 until the last dc cluster, skip the last dc cluster, and join to 3rd chain of ch 4 with sl st
Round 11: Repeat Round 7
Round 12: Repeat Round 6
Round 13: Repeat Round 7
Round 14: Ch 1, sc in every stitch around, join to ch 1, fasten off.

Optional: Thumb
Join yarn at thumb opening.
Round 1: Ch 1, *sc in every stitch, 2 sc in side of dc space created by Round 10 of pattern, repeat from * around thump space, join with sl st to ch 1
Round 2-3: Repeat Round 1.

Tips for increasing/decreasing the pattern:
-You need a multiple of three plus one for the starting chain.
-For a larger hand, in Round 10 of pattern you may need to skip the last two dc clusters instead of just the last one.

30 comments:

  1. I love so much fingerless gloves, especially this... ^^

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your sister is picky - these were exactly the requirements I was looking for too. Making myself a pair and a pair for the future sister-in-law as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like very much your fingerless that I found on Ravelry.
    I'll try to crochet them ;)
    Bye bye
    Mopo

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved these gloves! I made mine and you can see them at my blog under the post titled 'An Accessory'.
    -www.annalowery.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Your blog doesn't seem to be up anymore, but I saw your gloves on Ravelry and they are gorgeous. Glad you liked the pattern!

      Delete
  5. i like it but i am so confused! about several things.
    1. when i join the chain with sl st do i join in back loop or both loops?
    2. when i sc around the chain do i do front or back loops?
    3. how many stitches should i have when i return to me stitch marker?
    4. do i skip any stitches for hdc's in a round?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello!

      1. Both loops.
      2. That is usually a personal preference thing. I usually do it in the back loop of the chain - not the two loops that form the little 'v' in the front. I hope that makes sense, if not, let me know so I can see about taking a picture for you.
      3. I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You should always have 27 stitches at the end of each round, and 24 after doing the thumb hole.
      4. Again, I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. Could you explain this one again?

      Hope this was somewhat helpful!

      Delete
    2. thank you!! and thank you for being so fast <3
      yeah, i know what a stitch is, its just i do amigurumi which doesn't ever use chains. actually a picture would be very helpful. do you do it on all your sc's?

      for 3: that is exactly what i needed to know. do you have a video example though, of you doing just one row? because thats something that confuses me a lot. which stitch i end up on. i asked that just to make sure that the sl st join would get rid of one stitch of your original chain.

      for 4: some people say when you do hdc's, to skip 2 stitches the first one you make. something that made this even worse is that someone else said to skip 3 stitches. and yet another said nothing of the sort.
      so basically, i just perform the HDC? no chains, no skipping, just do it when i start the row?
      yes, it was actually :3

      Delete
    3. No problem :)

      Here is what it looks like. And yep, I always insert the hook in that part of a chain stitch.

      There is actually an extra chain stitch at the beginning of each round of the cuff.

      Oh, no, you don't need to skip any stitches in this case. You only need to do that if you're doing hdc on a starting chain, but in this case, there is already a sc round, so it's fine.
      You chain one at the beginning of each round, and then yes, just go ahead with the hdc.

      Delete
  6. Hope you got my email concerning this, I've recently been told by several people that they haven't received emails I've been sending, so I just thought I'd make sure :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great pattern, and I love that it uses so little yarn. I linked to it on my blog this morning if you want to check it out: http://www.mooglyblog.com/10-crochet-fingerless-mitts-patterns/

    Thanks so much for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm glad you like the pattern :D

      Delete
  8. Thanks for the pattern. I like the combination of clusters and V-stitches.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, glad you enjoyed the pattern :D

      Delete
  9. I love these gloves! So cute and comfortable.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've just completed my first pair with your pattern to give as a Christmas gift - thank you so much for sharing your talent! They go very nicely with the infinity scarf I made for her as well - Bonus :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I'm glad you like the pattern! Hope she likes them as well :D

      Delete
  11. Just made a pair of these for my mom this afternoon. They go perfectly with the shawl I finished for her last weekend. :) Thanks so much for sharing the pattern.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Soooooooo making these today. Thanks so much :) I did have one question though, if I wanted to make them a bit longer, would I just keep repeating rnds 6 and 7 for a bit until I moved on to rnd 10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, that would work :) That would make them extend more towards your arm. Or you could work more rounds in the cuff (or do both). If you want them to cover your fingers more, just add a couple more rounds after round 10.

      Delete
  13. Trying to figure out front post vs back post...is it the same stitch?

    Erzabetwrites@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello there! Nope, front post and back post stitches are not the same. Here is a video tutorial for both, hope that helps clear it up:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZ7MzxQMvbQ

      Delete
  14. These are really cute & look simple pattern.........!!!!!!!!
    Fingerless Gloves

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I spin all these single skeins of yarn. This is perfect project for all my single skeins. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Thank you so much for sharing, I was trying to find the stitch to go with a scarf I found, seems like this will work or maybe I’ll just try your infinity scarf.

    ReplyDelete